YaliniDream is a Sri Lankan Tamil raised in outside lands. She conjures spirit through her unique blend of poetry, theater, song, and dance: “Sick of bouncing between in betweens, I live in the borderlands where poetry is theater is love is movement is song is prayer is rebellion. I look to reshape reality seeking peace through justice in the lands
of earth, psyche, spirit, and dream.”
• Community Based Directing
• toured nationally throughout the US as well as performing
in Canada, Europe, & Sri Lanka
• performed from renowned venues such as Dance Theater
Workshop & The Lincoln Center to subway cars to street
protests to schools to experimental theaters to the hottest clubs
in NYC's underground.
• served as director of Mango Tribe’s NYC run of Sisters in
the Smoke and the Creation Myth Project as well as Interim
Artistic Director of the group.
• wrote and performed in Strange Rain which was part of the
First National Asian American Theater Festival.
• Has made numerous radio appearances including The Brian
Lehrer Show and Democarcy Now!
• Jerome Foundation Travel & Study Grant (2008-2010)
• Poets & Writers Writing Workshop Grant (May 2008)
• Urban Arts Initiative Fellowship (2008)
• Panelist for the Leeway Foundation’s Transformation Awards
• Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation Artists in Communities
Residency (Asian Arts Initiative July 1st- September 22nd, 2006)
• New World Theater Residency (New World Theater, Amherst,
Mass; June 20th-26th, 2006)
• National Performance Network (Asian Arts Initiative,
Philadelphia; June 28th- August 12th, 2005)
• Network of Cultural Centers of Color Award (June 2005)
• Voices Breaking Boundaries Residency (Diverse Works Art
Center, Houston; September 20th-25 2004)
• Henry Street Settlement Residency (Abron Arts Center,
New York City; January 23rd-February 1st 2004)